Today was a little different. A quick summary:
- Breakfast and got ready
- Off to a sister’s house (also a home educator) – R took the card she had made.
- R’s friend also made her a card. They did some art activities and played, whilst the mother and myself discussed home ed and parenting! Z and Y also had a blast playing – SOCIALISATION, ART, READING
- Back home – R did her Quran
- Boys conked out in the car and so carried them up to bed one by one.
- R then watched Live and Deadly 60 (show about live and deadly animals within the UK) – SCIENCE, GEO, NATURE
- She then collected the codes at the end of each show and used them to play the game on the CBBC website – ICT, SAME AS ABOVE
- Watched an Arabic cartoon about Vikings (a lot of computer stuff today!) – ARABIC, HISTORY
- Started to discuss Vikings (again!) and then read about Vikings in her Usborne Encyclopedia – HISTORY, READING
- Used the Usborne Link in the Encyclopedia – typed it in herself and spent AGES reading up facts about Vikings, looking at pictures, artefacts, watching videos. Soon all of us joined in as there were some good websites: http://www.usborne-quicklinks.com/uk/uk_entity_pages/uk_all_links.asp?lvl=1&menu=s28&id=2174 Favourite was: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/vikings/ – ICT, HISTORY, READING
- On one of the videos, they showed a silver coin from the Vikings age – it had Arabic writing on it and we noticed the word ‘Allah’ which suggests that they may have raided a Muslim settlement. – HISTORY, ISLAMIC STUDIES
- Over dinner discussed tradesmen as Vikings were also known to trade. Led on to a discussion about what people could trade in if they didn’t trade using money. I brought in the fact that the Prophet (saw) was a tradesman. ISLAMIC STUDIES, HISTORY
- During all of this, baby Y sometimes listened and often just played. Z listened and asked questions the whole time which was different for him.
- Read one more story from Chocolate World to R – this time about Ramadhan and Chocolate Chip cookies – the theme was that Allah always watches us. Read Postman Pat to Z and a baby book to Y. READING
- Kids went to bed with an arm load of books. READING
And that’s the end of Day 2 of unschooling!